Computers in the Library
- Most of the computers in the library have Internet access, Microsoft Office programs, and Acrobat Reader.
- Most of the library is covered by the ACS wireless Internet network.
Locations of Computers
- Computers are available on all 3 levels of the library.
- Two computers in front of the Reference Desk are limited to searching the Voyager library catalog and have a 10-minute time limit.
- Mac computers are available on the Main Level / 2nd Floor:
- behind the Reference Collection
- in the Hawaiian Collection
Wired Laptop Connections
Laptop lines connecting to the Internet are available for students with their own laptops. The stations are located on the Main Level / 2nd Floor in the grey carrels near the DVDs.
Computer Resources - UH Hilo
Are you experiencing problems with a computer? You can contact the ACS Technology Help Desk at 932-7040 or in person at UCB 120.
See the Academic Computing Services page for FAQs, information about other computer labs on campus, software listings for ACS computers, HITS classrooms, and more.
Information about accessing the campus wireless network from ACS.
IT Resources @ UH
The UH System Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a broad range of IT services and support to students of the entire UH System. See the ITS website for information / help with:
- UH username
- UH email
- wireless network passthru
- signing up for UH Emergency Notification Alerts
- ...and more...
***Save Your Work Often***
Saving to a USB drive
Buy a USB Flash Drive - they are available at the UH Hilo Bookstore.
Insert it into the USB port in your computer. A message will let you know that "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use".
To save a document: Click on "save as" and choose the device you want to save it to (your usb - "Removable Disk" or "unknown"). Once the flash drive is selected, name your document in the "File name" field.
To Eject USB Flash Drive: Tell your computer you want to remove your USB flash drive before you physically remove the drive from your computer. To do so on a PC, right-click on the icon for the drive and select "Remove" in order to safely remove the drive.
*If you pull out your USB flash drive without telling your computer first, you run the risk of damaging the drive and losing data.
Saving to Google drive
All UH users also have access to Google Drive, which automatically saves your work. Go to http://www.hawaii.edu/google and click on Drive. Google has versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.