Interlibrary Loan at Edwin H. Mookini Library
Welcome to the Interlibrary Loan LibGuide.
What is ILL?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service provided for current University of Hawaii at Hilo and Hawaii Community College students, faculty, and staff by which materials, not owned by the library, are obtained from other libraries.
- No fees associated with the placing of requests
- You will be contacted via your hawaii.edu email when items arrive - ALERT! Check your email spam folder. It has been reported that some notifications have been going directly to the spam folder
- Articles are delivered to your ILLiad account and stored for 30 days after which time they will be purged from the system- It is recommended to download the articles you want to access after the 30 days or in the case of ILLiad down times
- Articles can be printed
- Books have a loan period anywhere from one week to one month
- Books can be picked up and returned to the Library's Circulation Desk
- Renewal of books can be done within your ILLiad account. Renewals are determined by the lending library
- Audiovisual materials, textbooks, and microfilm/microfiche are not available through ILL
- Borrowers are responsible for fees charged by the lending library for overdue, lost, or damaged items
- A non pick-up fee of $3.00 per item will be issued for items that are requested and not picked up
- There is a $1.00 overdue fine per day for ILL book (borrowed from outside the UH System).
ALERT! Check your email spam folder as it has been reported that some notifications have been going directly to the spam folder.
When do I Use Interlibrary Loan?
Before requesting an item through ILL:
- Check Hawaii Voyager to see if the book you need is available in hard copy in the UH System. If it is at another library in the UH system, use the Hawaii Voyager catalog to request it.
- Check Journals by Title to see if the journal issue is available electronically through one of our databases.