Interlibrary Loan at Edwin H. Mookini Library
Welcome to the Interlibrary Loan LibGuide.
What is ILL?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service provided for current University of Hawaii at Hilo and Hawaii Community College students, faculty, and staff by which materials, not owned by the library, are obtained from other libraries.
- Contact will be made via your hawaii.edu email account
- are delivered to your ILLiad account
- are stored for 30 days after which time they will be purged from your account
- can be downloaded
- downloading recommended in the case of ILLiad down-times or to maintain access after 30 days.
- can be printed
- Loan period anywhere from one week to one month
- Books can be picked up and returned to the Library's Circulation Desk
- See Book Requests tab for more information on requesting a renewal
- There are no fees associated with the placing or receiving of requests
- A non pick-up fee of $3.00 per item will be issued for items that are requested and not picked up
- There is a $1.00 overdue fine per day per item for ILL books (borrowed from outside the UH System)
- Borrowers are responsible for fees charged by the lending library for overdue, lost, or damaged items
- Audiovisual materials, textbooks, and microfilm/microfiche are not available from libraries outside the UH System
ILLiad Login Changes:
- Logging in to ILLiad just got easier! You can now login to ILLiad with your UH Username and Password.
- The first time you access ILLiad using this new login, you will be prompted to create a new ILLiad account.
- A new account will need to be created even if a previous account exists. Once staff merges your two accounts, you will receive an email notifying you that your account username has been changed. Requests from your old account will be moved over to your new account.
- For your security, close your internet browser after logging out of ILLiad if you are at a computer that is used by other individuals.
- You can manage your UH Account at https://www.hawaii.edu/username/
- Citation information have not been importing correctly when using SFX via the databases so you may have to manually populate the citation fields when submitting an article request. We are looking into a solution for this.
- Check your email spam folder as it has been reported that some notifications have been going directly to the spam folder.
When do I Use Interlibrary Loan?
Before requesting an item through ILL:
- Check Hawaii Voyager to see if the book you need is available in hard copy in the UH System. If it is at another library in the UH system, use the Hawaii Voyager catalog to request it.
- Check Journals by Title to see if the journal issue is available electronically through one of our databases.